15 February, 2009

Tutorial - quilted basket

I am in love with quilts and little baskets. So in the last months I made a few quilted baskets !
Here it is a tutorial for you, happy sewing !
Quilted Basket Tutorial
15.5 " x 6.5" x 5" deep


Add in the basket a doll and a mini quilt and a little girl will love you !


Let's start sewing !


1. Sewing the panels for the outer basket:

From white fabric, cut 20 strips ( 1.5" x 6 " );
From colored fabric, cut 24 strips ( 2" x 6" ).

Following the next pictures:
- start sewing with colored strips and use half of strips;
- sew with 1/4 inch seam allowances !


You have to sew 2 pieces like this:

From each piece cut a rectangle 5" x 17 " (see the next pictures).


For other projects, if you want more complex designs, you can join more sets.
Arrange sets with the tips oriented in the same direction :

or in different direction.

Sew to each pieced piece:
- 1 strip 1.5" x 17";
- 1 rectangle 5.5" x 17".

Underneath each piece add batting and backing and quilt as desire.
If you want a sturdy basket, use a heavier fabric as backing or double a light-weight fabric with interfacing.


My quilting:

After you completed the quilting, square up the pieces (make sure they are the same size). These will form the outer basket.

Cut 2 pieces of lining, the same size as the 2 parts of the outer basket.

2. Sewing the outer basket

In the next steps we will work with thick fabric, so it is helpful to use a suitable needle ( I used a Jeans/Denim needle ).
Also stitch using 1/2 inch seam allowances.
Place the 2 pieces right sides together and sew 1/2 inch from the bottom edge.
Stitch the seam allowances in place to keep the seam open (or just press it open).

Sew the right and left edges, press the seams open.


3. Boxing the corners
For each corner, align the side seam with the bottom seam:

Match a line of a ruler over the seam and draw a line 2.5" from point; pin fabric into place.

Stitch the corner following the line that you marked and trim the excess.

Repet the operation for the other corner.
You will have corners like this:

Additional stitches to form the bottom:

It looks very nice !

4. Sewing the lining

Sew the 2 pieces of lining following the same steps, but leave an opening on the bottom seam(about 6"-7").

5. The handles

Cut 2 strips 4" x 13".
F
old and iron ( with steam ) the strips in this way:

Sew the edges and make sure the handles have the same length.

Sew the handles to the outer basket:

Turn the lining wrong side out; place the outer basket inside the lining and pin around the top.

Stitch 0.5" from the edge.

Turn the lining right side out.
Topstitch around the green strip.

Sew the opening in the lining, either by hand or by machine.

Check out to see if the lining has the proper size; if it is larger than the outer basket, sew additional stitches on the bottom (like we did on the outer basket).

The quilted basket is ready to go and make happy a little girl
!

  • If you need help, please ask me !
  • If you will make a basket like this, please let me know ! I would love to see it !
    -----------------------------------------------------------


Have you subscribed to my newsletter? There is a form on the right sidebar.
Every month I will create a new quilting design for you.

34 comments:

  1. fantastic tutorial!!! Thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The basket ist so beautiful, but my girls are not little :)
    But the pattern is very intresting and the tutorial ist fantastic!
    I understood everythink.
    Viele liebe Grüße
    Anke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tutorialul e perfect (am citit cu un ochi de editor si cu altul de cusatoreasa, e perfect din ambele puncte de vedere).
    Dar de unde au aparut ursii koala? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Da,se intelege perfect !Pupici de multumire!
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful little baskets! I love making bags too, will have to try this one!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful basket - I'm going to try this! Thanks for such a fun tutorial!

    Sandra in Canada, who thinks your English is fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely basket! And a very good tutioral. I'm sure I'm going to make it! I'm going to put a link to you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent tutorial...perfect basket!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb tutorial, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tutorial was very easy to follow and the basket looks great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Easter be here soon be great for a kids easter basket.
    Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilting, great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog - it's great! Your basket tutorial is very easy to follow and makes me want to make one too!
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is lovely.
    I will make my daughter a basket for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ar fi perfect si fara cuvinte,pozele arata totul !

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful gift you have. Not only your stitching and quilting is beautiful, but the way you word your tutorial is very easy to follow. I will make this and then upload some photos. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for this tutorial, and it's such a lovely basket. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hallo,
    today I found the tutorial for this nice basket. You discribe it very clearly und so I will begin soon.
    Greatings from Germany
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  19. O singura intrebare. Cum se numeste in limba romana materialul care se pune pentru ingrosarea cosului? In ce magazin se cumpara? La tesaturi nu am vazut, si nu am putut explica vanzatoarei, ca nu stia ce inseamna Quilt... Eu vorbesc limba maghiara si nu stiu cuvintele aceasta speciale. Abia astept sa fac ceva, dar nu am materialul dorit. Multumesc, pentru ajutor.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is extremely interesting for me to read the post. Thanks the author for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love LOVE your tutorial so much that I featured it as a Friday Find on my blog.

    www.lyannajeandesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Geta, I saw the post on your bags on the Quilter's Message Board and found this great tutorial on the Quilted Basket. I have made one (a little different) and it is on my blog if you would like to read about it. Thanks so much!

    http://conniekresin.blogspot.com/2010/12/quilted-basket-for-doll.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful tutorial... so easy to understand! Love the basket too... what a great idea!

    Thanks for sharing this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very beautiful basket - perfect for the baby doll. Thank you for sharing your beautiful work and tutorial. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is so cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Acabo de descubrir tu blog y este tutorial es una maravilla. Cuando pueda hare esta cesta tan bonita

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just made one for my DD, such a cute basket! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So nice..I haven't made one yet; but I will; thanks for the great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  29. grazie di questo utilissimo tutorial !! Usando google traduttore sonpo riuscita a capire e a mettere in pratica le istruzioni.Ti mando un caldo saluto da Genova (Italy) e continuerò a seguire il tuo blog Caty2 (Caterina)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoy all of your tutorials. They are clear and easy to follow. You write very well in English. Thanks for sharing them with us. Evita in California, USA

    ReplyDelete
  31. Brilliant tutorial Geta. Thank you so much. I am going to make this for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing your talent. I really loved the fabrics you used, it looks great! I hope to find something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for this tutorial. I made one for my daughter's baby shower. I had made many receiving blankets, Burp cloths, Bibs, and a quilt. I tied them with a bow & put them in the beautiful bag (of course I made it slightly larger). She & everyone there loved it but I gave credit all to you! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just made this cute little basket for the second time. Your instructions are wonderful and it turned out exactly as it should have....cute cute cute. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips