08 December, 2012

Teach me - 5 - Print Friendly

Today  I received this message:
I would like to know where I can download the directions for making...I can't take my computer to where I have my sewing room so would like to download the directions for it.

It was 11 PM so I was about to reply that I don't have downloadable directions, but in the last moment I remembered that this summer I printed a few recipes from Internet and I liked that you can print only what you want/need.

So after a few researches, I found out about "Print Friendly " website.

Here is what Print Friendly does (excerpt from their website):
PrintFriendly cleans and formats web pages for perfect print experience. PrintFriendly removes Ads, Navigation and web page junk, so you save paper and ink when you print. It's free and easy to use. Perfect to use at home, the office, or whenever you need to print a web page.

So here is how to use it:
1. Go to the page you want to print (it has to be a specific page, not the home page of a website).

For the purpose of this tutorial, I chose my Hexagon Bowl tutorial from my blog.

Copy the url of the page:
http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.ro/2012/08/hexagonal-bowl-tutorial.html
 
2. Go to http://www.printfriendly.com/
Paste the url of your page then click the button "Print Preview".


3. Here is the result -  all the text and all the pictures are here.


The title and the url of the post are also visible. 
 
4. Edit pages before print

You can choose the size of the text or to remove all the pictures -  it will print only the text .
There is an "Undo" button too, very helpful.


Position the cursor of the mouse over a paragraph. The paragraph will be highlighted in yellow and if you click the mouse, the paragraph will be deleted.
If you want to remove a certain photo, position the mouse cursor over the photo and  click -  it will be deleted.


When you are happy with how the document looks like (remember, you want to save paper and ink! ), you could print it immediately. Or you can email it to you or someone else.


Or you could save it as a pdf file on your computer (and print later). 


And, there is even more.
If you print often information from Internet, you can add a "Print Friendly" button to your browser (instructions here). If you have a website/blog, you can add a "Print Friendly" button to your posts (instructions here).
How about to make pdf  for some of your own posts ?

I hope this helps!
Geta

NOTE
If you print free tutorials from Internet, please keep in mind that most of them (including mine) are for your personal use only. If you want to share a tutorial, please share not only the pdf file you created from a blog post, but the link to the original tutorial too. Thank you!

9 comments:

  1. Geta, thank you so much for this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a helpful post - thanks so much Geta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geta, I tried it this morning and it works so well!! I cannot thank you enough for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this. I'm going to add this to my site later today to make it easy for readers to print tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know there was a website like this...it is now bookmarked in my favorites so I can use it when needed. Thank you so much for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! I was wondering about this! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this, is so important!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geta, you saved my day, I was always looking for a way to print instructions from the web. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Geta, for sharing this information. It's going to save me so much time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips